Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Facebook in China or lack thereof

At the moment I am in China, bit of a family holiday- all expense paid so I'm smiling.

I lived here for a year back in 2008 so I am pretty used to the internet, my brother on the other hand was completely gobsmacked : o "No facebook- are you joking?" "what do you mean it's blocked, why would they block facebook"
Well that is not something I am going to go into here.

But in terms of eMarketing it is interesting to think about what it means for company's investing time and money into marketing online and utilising social networks, if at anytime websites, blogs and especially social networks like facebook, myspace and twitter can be blocked without warning.

I wonder what impact this has on organisations that have moved away from traditional forms of communication into the realm of the electronic world.

Is it good to invest in something that may be completely unreliable in a country??

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I have to say it doesn't seem like a great investment if you don't know it will be accessible to an entire population
    Strange to think people don't have more to say about how the government have the ability to ban sites like facebook- can't imagine it

    ReplyDelete