Tuesday, August 31, 2010

These Folks are Kinky

It’s Tuesday morning and I am sitting in a café trying to think of e-marketing issues that I can possibly write about on my blog- it’s been a while since my last post and I’m beginning to feel guilty about my lack of imagination.

As I sit staring into my coffee, racking my brains for some new and semi-interesting idea I overhear my brother talk about how the café he runs is in the process of creating their website… and BAM (like a comic book punch in the face) there it is- something to blog about.
This blog is going to be a bit different because instead of me telling you about an issue I am going to ask for your input – so please comment with any ideas : )

Kinfolk café is a Not for profit café that runs out of Melbourne’s CBD (look at above post Kinfolk for more information) All of their food is sourced locally and their coffee was 100% donated by DiBella. Kinfolk donate all their profits to four different development projects in Rwanda, Ghana, Palm Island and Melbourne. Kinfolk runs day to day with the support of volunteer staff. Kinfolk is a social business which allows individuals to make a difference in their daily activity i.e. buying a cup of coffee.

"Kinfolk - A place where simple choices contribute to the well-being of people and planet"
                                                                                          Courtesy of ArtShine

So, with all this in mind the question I put to you is… How can Kinfolk use their website in order to create interest from and market themselves to;
  •      Volunteers?
  •      Potential sponsors?
  •      The wider community?
  •      Café goers?
  •      Foodies?
  •      Local and state Government departments?
  •      Other not-for profit organisations?



2 comments:

  1. Wow - such a BIG question!

    I'm not sure that a "website" is the solution. Why would people go out of their way to visit their website?

    Maybe they need to move into the online places where their customers/volunteers/sponsors are spending their time? Get a better understanding of the behaviour and motivations of the stakeholders first, then move into their space, whether that be Facebook, Twitter, mobile apps, or somewhere else.

    What are their competitors doing? What seems to work in this space? Learn from others, then innovate further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi wags,
    yeah I'm actually thinking a long a similar line to you...

    I was thinking that facebook would be a great way to connect with potential volunteers and was also thinking that they could have an app- to connect with people and update about when they need volunteers and also about news relating to how much money they are donating where...

    I work there quite a bit though and nearly every time that i do i notice that numerous people ask if they have a website- and a number of the people who are asking are business people who work locally- i am not really sure if facebook is the right means of communication for these people? but then again so many people have it now that maybe it is...

    They have been using some social media but i think they feel like there is a lot more information that they would like to communicate, that they have had difficulty doing through these mediums.

    Anyway, maybe they need to use a whole lot of different communication-

    All thoughts welcome : )

    ReplyDelete